Features and Objectives
There is but one earth. No matter how great humankind's technological advancement and economic development, we will always be dependant upon our environment and the resources it provides to exist and develop. Hence, the use of engineering technology to control pollutants and maintain the quality of the environment will become more of a focal point in our world of the future. After completing theoretical and practical training, and graduating from the program, graduates possess the professional ability to monitor and manage environment quality issues.
The Ilan University Environmental Engineering Department is the only department of its kind in northeast/east Taiwan. There are currently 8 professors, and 3 associate professors in the department. The research backgrounds of the faculty include: water/wastewater treatment, water resources regeneration, air pollution control, waste recovery and management, soil and ground water remediation, biotechnology and its applications, environmental monitoring and assessment, environmental management system, environment maintenance and management equipment, renewable energy, and material recovery.
The research focus of the department is divided into three areas of environmental engineering technology, environmental quality management, and renewable energy and resources. The content for these research areas is as follows:
1. Environmental Engineering Technology: Water pollution control, waste water treatment, air pollution control, toxic chemicals treatment, environmental biotechnology and application, advanced oxidation and applied catalyst, indoor air quality maintenance, nanometer particulate measurement, air pollution control using nanotechnology, wet land management, and soil and ground water remediation technology.
2. Environmental Quality Management: Water pollution investigation, air pollution investigation and analysis, soil and ground water investigation and analysis, environmental monitoring and assessment, environmental management system, environment maintenance and management device, sustainable environmental management.
3. Renewable energy and resources: Waste management and resources recovery, renewable energy and material recovery, microbial fuel cell, environmental nanotechnology.
The department's professional curriculum includes:
1. Undergraduate Program: Ecology, Computer Programming Language, Introduction to Environmental Engineering, Engineering Mathematics, Engineering Graphics, Analytical Chemistry, Microbiology of Environmental Engineering, Introduction to Air Pollution, Engineering Statistics, Air Pollution Control, Fluid Mechanics, Water Analysis, Water Supply Engineering, Solid Waste Treatment, Sewage Engineering, Seminar, Environmental Planning and Management, Introduction to Environmental Science, Environmental Health Sciences, Industry Safety, Organic Chemistry, Laws of Environmental Protection, Environmental Psychology, Microbiology Laboratory, Air Pollutant Analysis, Chemistry of Environmental, Environmental Biotechnology, Gaseous pollutant control and Equipment Design, Chemistry of Environmental Engineering, Soil and environmental Quality, Instrumental Analysis and Laboratory for Environmental Engineering, Independent Study, Prevention and Control of Noise and Vibration, Design of Water Supply Engineering, Particulate Pollutant Control and Design, Environmental Analysis and Monitoring, Analysis and Lab. of Solid Waste, Environmental Toxicology, Wastewater Analysis and Lab., Water Environments, Sewage Engineering Design, Application of Computer on Environmental Engineering, Industrial Wastewater Treatment, Waste Minimization, Hazardous Waste Management, Soil Pollution and Prevention, Pesticide Pollution, Introduction of Environmental Nanoscience, Laboratory of Unit Operation in Environmental Engineering, Groundwater Contamination and Control, Introduction to Electrochemical Technology, Environmental Impact Assessment, Soil Pollution and Lab., Scientific English, Environmental Economics and Management.
2. Graduate Program: Chemical Process in Environmental Engineering, Physical Process in Environmental Engineering, Biological Process in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Planning and Analysis, Surface Chemistry and Catalyst Material, Advanced Oxidation Processes, Special Topics in Water and Wastewater Treatment, Special Topics in Groundwater and Contamination Remediation, Aerosol Science and Technology, Special Topics in Hazardous Waste Management, Energy and Resources Recovery Engineering, Special Topics in Soil Remediation, Special Topics in Soil and Environmental Quality, Special Topics in Environmental Toxicology, Special Topics in Environmental Issue, Special Topics in Environmental Biotechnology, Reactor Design and Reaction Kinetics, Environmental Nanotechnology, Seminar.
Students are trained for employment in the following fields: 1) Environmental resources management; 2) Pollution control technologies and design; 3) Waste management; 4) Environmental and regulatory agencies; 5) Research organizations.