NIU (one of the oldest institutions of higher education in Taiwan) was formally founded in 1926 as Taiwan Provincial Ilan School of Agriculture and Forestry. Decades of preparation and recalls by the institute administration, a junior college (National Ilan Institute of Agriculture and Technology) was developed in 1988. The Environmental Department of National Ilan Institute of Agriculture and Technology was established in 1992. The students belonged to two-year junior college students. There were one hundred students per year. According to the government and local residents of Ilan County necessaries, two-year junior college for continuing education was also developed in 1995. The number of continuing education students is 50 per year. The name of department was changed into Environmental Department of National Ilan Institute of Technology in 1998. Furthermore, the name of department was changed into Environmental Department of National Ilan university in 2003. In addition, the graduate of Environmental Engineering was setup in 2008.